SIRAJ is looking for an Investigative Journalist in one of the EU countries, who can work part time, remotely with a team of journalists and editors within the investigation reports hub of SIRAJ to develop the hypothesis stories and storytelling sense.
Terms: Part time, remotely.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2024 at 11:59 P.M. CET
Syrian Investigative Reporting for Accountability Journalism (SIRAJ) is a nonprofit unit dedicated to reporting on Syria and training Syrian journalists in investigative journalism techniques.
Founded in 2016, SIRAJ empowers journalists to produce detailed written, video, and audio reports on a wide array of issues related to Syria, both within the country and abroad. Journalist trainees hone their craft under the careful supervision of SIRAJ’s team and, after mastering the fundamental tools of investigative journalism, join the unit as full-fledged journalists.
Our team collaborates with a variety of partners to gather information, conduct interviews, and analyze open source intelligence (OSINT) data to produce high-quality, international-standard investigative reports. Through our investigations, we expose wrongdoing, document evidence, and raise awareness about the human impact of conflicts and crises in Syria.
We collaborate with local and international media outlets to amplify our findings and reach a wider audience.
SIRAJ adheres to a code of ethics that includes minimizing harm to sources, protecting confidentiality when necessary, and maintaining the highest professional journalism standards, including rigorous fact-checking, verification of sources, and presenting information in an objective and unbiased manner.
Investigative Journalist – Will reports to the Editor in Chief /the Management Board.
As an Investigative Journalist at SIRAJ, you will play a pivotal role in our journalistic endeavors.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Research and Analysis: Conduct in-depth research using open-source tools, platforms, and databases to gather information relevant to investigative journalism projects.
- Verification: Verify the authenticity and accuracy of information obtained from various sources, ensuring the highest standards of journalistic integrity.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief, and fellow journalists to contribute to the development of investigative stories.
- Documentation: Maintain meticulous records of sources, methodologies, and findings, adhering to best practices in investigative journalism.
- Adaptability: Stay abreast of emerging trends in open-source investigation, constantly adapting and incorporating new tools and techniques.
- Story telling: Assist in shaping investigative stories, providing crucial insights and perspectives gained through research.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in the investigative journalism and media production field for 5 years.
- Fluently in English writing and speaking with a good knowledge in Arabic.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Competence with online search and working with a team.
- Enthusiastic and patient.
Are you interested?
To apply, please send your CV with a cover letter by February 28, to SIRAJ by Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interviews will be scheduled afterward.
- All applications must be in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered.